Academic Department Support Competencies
Academic Department Support
The competencies described on this page represent the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to provide effective academic department support at the University of Florida.
These key skills were identified primarily on the basis of a series of focus groups and interviews with employees in administrative positions who were identified as solid performers in those positions. The competencies represent the range of skills that became apparent as those successful in the positions described their work and how they fulfilled the positions’ demands.
These academic department support competencies are complemented by the personal excellence competencies—core skills such as communication and results orientation that are essential for all administrative professionals.
Tenure & Promotion—understands and facilitates tenure and promotion process.
- Knows requirements and procedures for Tenure& Promotion process and works effectively with Academic Personnel.
- Understands how leave issues affect tenure and promotion process, including rules and procedures for “stopping the tenure clock.”
- Communicates requirements, obtains materials, and combines required materials and information for use.
Institutional & academic knowledge—understands and applies relevant policies, procedures, approval processes; can serve as a resource for effort reporting and course scheduling.
- Understands and complies with departmental and college-level policies and procedures.
- Understands and complies with required approval processes up through the appropriate college-level office and provost’s office.
- Works effectively with department chair, faculty and other staff.
- Understands requirements and effectively completes faculty assignment and activity reports.
- Assists with or completes course scheduling as needed—coordinating dates and times, instructor preferences, registrar requirements, etc.
To see the requirements for the certification, view the Quick and Easy Guide to the Pro3 Series.