Stronger Together: Promoting Racial Justice through Awareness and Action
In his June 2020 memo, President Fuchs identified a number of steps UF would be taking to address racism and create a more racially just UF. Training for all faculty and staff was among these. UFHR, along with the offices of the Chief Diversity Officer and Student Affairs, invited “100 UF voices” from across campus to a half-day online retreat to identify the knowledge and skills required to build a more racially just UF. Participants in this retreat helped identify three broad areas of focus for learning:
- Fostering Awareness: Understanding anti-black racism
- Building Capacity: Knowledge and skills to engage in difficult conversations on race
- Promoting Action: Effecting personal and institutional change
UF Training & Organizational Development will implement a Racial Justice Education initiative called Stronger Together beginning February 2021.
What types of training and resources will be available?
UF’s racial justice education initiative will include a broad range of efforts and collaborations across campus including online courses, webinars, interviews, panel discussions, and a leadership series. The session information and resources will be communicated through UF At Work and made available on the Stronger Together website. The sessions will begin in February and continue into the fall of 2021.
Completion of this module is required of faculty and staff and represents an initial step in our shared efforts to better understand and begin to dismantle the individual and collective forces that support racism.
Webinar Series for Faculty and Staff
This series will include 60-90 minute webinars, interviews, and panel discussions that aim to foster awareness, build capacity, and promote action.
Sessions will be added on an ongoing basis, please check back regularly for new sessions and myTraining registration links.
A Very Brief History and Manifestations of Institutional Racism in America with Dr. David Canton
Mar. 11 from 1-2:30pm
An Interview with Dr. Katrice Graham on Race, Equity, and Diversity at the University of Florida
Mar. 18 from 10-11:30am
Understanding and Taking Action Against Anti-Black Racism with Dr. Della Mosley
May 21 from 12-1:30pm
Webinar Series for Leaders
UFHR’s Training and Organizational Development team is committed to providing leadership resources that build skills to facilitate important conversations about race, bias and prejudice in order to remove barriers that obstruct equity. Leaders set the standards for behaviors – they decide what gets endorsed, accepted, supported, overlooked, and rewarded. Inclusion does, or doesn’t, happen in thousands of moments each day. Leaders must remain vigilant of all the ways they enable inequity to persist unchallenged on their teams and take action.
The Journey Begins with You: Self-Awareness and Empathetic Listening for Leading Equity
Webinar facilitated by Tricia Bachus and Becky Younglove
Mar. 4 from 10:30am-12pm
Webinar facilitated by Courtney Moon
Apr. 7 from 11am-12pm
There are many organizations on campus doing work in Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion. Here is a selection of additional, curated resources from across campus.
- The Gators Together certificate, a diversity and inclusion program designed to increase performance and engagement by creating an inclusive environment for our diverse talents.
- MCDA: Resource List
- College of Dentistry: Academics for Black Lives Resource List
- Libraries’ Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Anti-Racism Resources
- Center For Teaching Excellence: Inclusivity In The Classroom
- Department of Psychology: Anti-Racism Resources
- College of Liberal Arts And Sciences: Selected Anti-Racism Resources
- Health Science Center Libraries: Anti-Racism Resources
- Library Antiracism Resources: https://guides.uflib.ufl.edu/deicommittee/antiracism_resources